For decades, Clark Air Base was the largest US Air Base outside mainland USA, until the US Bases Agreement expired in 1991 and the base reverted to the Philippine Government. In 1903, it was established by the US Cavalry as Fort Stotsenburg. In 1917, the base became an air field and was renamed Clark Air Field in 1919. Today, graceful old homes with large verandahs, called barn houses by the former occupants, and historical building are well-preserved in Clark to remind visitors of the past grandeur of Fort Stotsenburg.

The Salakot

The Salakot – Located close to the main gate entrance to the Clark Freeport Zone, this monument stands as a sign of Philippine-United States friendship over the years. It was originally built to symbolize the historical signing of the Republic of the Philippines and United States Military Bases Agreement in the early 1950s.


US Memorial Cemetery

Opened in 1950, it contains remains of 8,000 soldiers from the Spanish-American and Philippine-American wars. Also peacefully laid in this memorial park are the remains of soldiers from all branches of the Armed Forces, American civilians and their dependents, members of the Philippine Scouts, Philippine Constabulary, Japanese civilians (not associated with World War II), Chinese and Vietnamese refugees. This is the only site in Clark where the Philippine and American flags are flying side by side.

top


Kelly Theater

Constructed in 1953, it served as the only movie house in Clark. It has also staged numerous cultural shows and stage plays then. This now heavily-damaged building was the second theater at Clark that bears the name Kelly. The original Kelly Theater was built in 1947 (where the present day IT Center, near PLDT is located). It was initially erected as a gymnasium, then later converted into a theater.

President Manuel Roxas delivered his speech here on April 15, 1948. Shortly after, a heart attack took his life.

The Kelly theaters were named after B-17 pilot Capt. Kolin Kelly, who lost his life in action against the Japanese forces in 1941.Capt. Kelly was declared America’s first hero of WWII by US President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

top


Monument of Col. John Stotsenburg

Fort Stosenburg at Clark was named after US Cavalry Col. John M. Stotsenburg of the 1st Nebraska Volunteers. A graduate of the US Military Academy, he assisted in organizing the 1st Nebraska Volunteer Regiment and became its commander when the regiment was sent to the Philippines to fight against the Filipino revolutionaries of 1899.

Col. Stosenburg led his regiment in several campaigns and commanded more troops than any other Brigadier General on the field at the time. He died in action while leading his troops in a battle with Filipino revolutionaries near Quingwa, Bulacan on April 25, 1899.

top


Pres. Manuel Roxas Marker

In memory of President Manuel A. Roxas who had a fatal attack at Clark on April 15, 1948. Invited by the Commander of the 13th US Air Force, President Roxas came to see for himself the massive reconstruction and rehabilitation going on in the war-damaged Clark. President Roxas delivered a speech at the Kelly theater and died of heart attack on the same day.

top


Former Office of the Commander of the 13th US Air Force

It was once the headquarters of the largest air force base outside the US mainland. Shortly after the occupation of Camp Stotsenburg, the field officers’ quarters made of wood and corrugated iron, were raised on this site. The present concrete structure was completed on November 26, 1910 at the cost of $10,901 and was used as a residence of Senior Army officials.

After World War II, it became the residence of 13th US Air Force Commanders and his official family.

It is currently designated as the “white house” – official residence of the Philippine Presidents whenever they come to Clark.

top


Flagpole

The flagpole has always been in its present location throughout the history of Clark up to present. It was erected in 1906 at the cost of $220.

Flagpole Memorial Markers – There are four memorial markers namely (1) Monument to the 26th Philippine Cavalry   and the US Army: (2) Monument honoring the US Army Air Corps – Philippine Air Force; (3) Roxas Memorial Marker in honor of Philippine President Manuel A. Roxas who died at Clark on April 15, 1948 and (4) Memorial marker commemorating  the historic turn over to the Philippine government in a formal ceremony held on 26 November 1991.

top


go to next page >>