STANDARD TOUR

Clark Museum

Discovery of Clark begins at the Clark Museum which served as repository of artifacts, collections and war memorabilia that tell the story of Clark - as a former US military base and its metamorphosis into a Freeport zone. It houses photos, dioramas, life-sized replicas, war artifacts and paintings. At the 2nd floor, you can find the Kapampangan Museum which essays Kapampangan history and culture.

Clark Museum Temporarily Close for Renovation

Museum entrance fee is P50/pax.

For booking inquiries, please contact the CDC Tourism Promotions Office (045) 599-3222 / 599-6235


Journey to the Seven Churches

From Clark Freeport, an eight-hour journey to the Seven Churches of Pampanga, built from 1572 to 1900, will give a realistic experience of the European Renaissance. How these edifices survived calamities for several centuries, last being Mount Pinatubo's devastating mudflows - that's what the devotees want to answer.

Angeles Holy Rosary Parish Church
Angeles City, Philippines

The church was built from 1877 to 1896 by the people of Angeles by forced labor system known as "polos y servicios" imposed by the Spanish colonial government. From 1899 to 1900, the building was used by the US Army as a military hospital. In 1896 - 1898, the backyard of the church became the execution grounds to the Spanish forces in shooting down Filipino rebels and suspects. It has a beautiful transept and measures 70m. long, 20m. wide and 12m. high. The dominant element of the fa├žade is the symmetry created by recessed arched windows which are in harmony with the segmented ones.

top


Lubao St. Augusting Parish Church
Lubao, Pampanga, Philippines

Built in 1572 by Architect Fr. Antonio Herrera, the Augustinian mission constructed this church in 1614-1630 ot of locally made bricks and sand mixed in egg albumin. The church was occupied in 1898 by he revolutionary forces, and was destroyed in 1942 by the Japanese shelling. It was repaired in 1949-1952 under the direction of Fr. Melencio Garcia. It measures 82.45 meters long, 21.12 meters wide and 10.50 meters high. The walls are 2.46 meters thick. It has one nave originally painted by Italian artists Dibella and Alberoni. The five story belfry (15.31 meters high) is still in its original structure.

top


Betis St. James Parish Church
Guagua, Pampanga, Philippines

Art enthusiasts compare it to the Sistine Chapel, for its magnificent interior, although the Betis Church is more impressive in terms of symmetry, gracefulness and theme. Fr. Fernando Pinto started its construction in 1660 and was finally completed in 1770 by Fr. Jose de Cruz. The National Commission for Culture

and the Arts (NCCA) declared this church a National Treasure, one of only 10 churches in the country bestowed that honor.

Main attraction in the interior include:
ceiling mural by famous painter Simon Flores; paintings on dome and walls depicting significant biblical events and figures by local artists led by brothers Martin and Severino Gozum Pangilinan; 19th and 20th Century sculpture by local artists supervised by the famous Maximo Vicente, and multi-awarded (internationally) artists Juan Flores and Willy Layug; esquisite retablo heavily coated/gilded with solid gold; ornate baptistery; intricate paintings on dome.

Main attactions in the patio (exterior) include:
Exquisite sculpture inthe Monument of Santiago de Galicia (Spain's most important patron saint); Monument of St. Joseph the Carpenter and the giant Monument of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

top


Bacolor San Guillermo Parish Church
Bacolor, Pampanga, Philippines

It is one of the oldest and largest churches in the Philippines, located in the former Philippine capital (Bacolor). It was constructed by the Augustinian friars in 1576 on the lot of Don Guillermo Manabat, a rich landlord believed to be the founder of Bacolor. The church wa restored

by Fr. Manuel Diaz in 1897. It has a central nave and well-lighted transept with windows. The main retablo, side retablos and pulpit are gilded with golf leaf. The richness of the docoration of Bacolor church depicts advanced stage of baroque adn rococo.

In spite of the 1991 eruption of Mt. Pinatubo which half-buried the church on October 1, 1995, the structure is still being used as place of worship. It was already a world renowned tourist destination prior to the lahar tragedies; now more tourists flock to the church which remaining features are being preserved and maintained.

top


Guagua Immaculate Conception Parish Church
Guagua, Pampanga, Philippines

Constructed in 1772 under the administration of Fr. Jose Duque, OSA, this spacious church was immensely improved in 1862 until 1870. (The first church edifice was constructed in 1587 which was razed by fire). Its interior is of Ionic style and its exterior is of Doric architecture marked by strength and aesthetic simplicity. The

beautiful altar is a creation of noted artist Willy Layug. The cathedral type church, which is immediately adjacent to the Municipal building houses the now Cardinal Santos Catholic Center and the Immaculate Conception Parochial School.

top


San Fernando Cathedral
City of San Fernando, Pampanga, Philippines

Built by Fr. Sebastian Moreno in 1756 (patron: San Fernando III, King of Castile) the church was restored in 1808. It measures 70m. long, 13m. wide and 11m. high. The round majestic dome rising from the rotunda of the transept is reminiscent of the baroque style with some renaissance touch. It is the seat of the Archdiocese of the City of San Fernando, Pampanga.

President Emilio F. Aguinaldo and his cabinet viewed the Philippine Revolutionary Army from the windows of the convent on October 9, 1898. The church and the convent were burned by the Philippine Revolutionary Army on orders of Gen. Antonio Luna on May 4, 1899. It was again destroyed by fire in 1939, and later restored by Architect Fernando H. Ocampo.

On October 17, 1757, townsfolk petitioned the governor-general for exemptions from tribute to enable them to build the church and convent. The construction of the present church started during the same year under the supervision Fr. Manuel Canlas, its first secular parish priest. Construction was completed in 1808 (rededicated to the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary).

It was elevated to Cathedral when it became the seat of the Diocese of San Fernando, canonically created by Pope Pius XII in 1948. The diocese was elevated by Pope Paul VI, to the Archdiocese of San Fernando, in 1975. Its first bishop was Msgr. Cesar Ma. Guerrero, D.D.

top


Minalin Sta. Monica Parish Church
Minalin, Pampanga, Philippines

Despite its elevation, silt from the Pampanga river has already affected this exquisite church (built in 1650 during the term of Spanish Governor General Diego Fajardo). The peeled finishing reveals the original red brick walls, giving the church its unique old-rose touches.

There are ancient mural paintings in the adjoining convent, one of which is a primitive-looking map with details of trees, ducks, crows, a boat, a hunter and a crocodile. Details not to be missed are the corbels and beams in the convent and high up in the church's ceiling, with carvings portraying pre-Hispanic pagan deities like naga (serpent), dapu (crocodile) and galura (eagle).

top


next page>>